Friday, December 3, 2010

A juicy steak and a not so juicy cemetary.

Janice isn't feeling too hot today after catching what I had a couple of days ago. I continue to be a sharing partner. ;-)
So I've taken it upon myself to spend the next while sharing a few photos from the city and the Recoleta cemetary in particular.
We started off the trip to Buenos Aires with a trip to a little steakhouse named El Desnivel (a steakhouse is called a parilla - pronounced roughly par-ee-zha; "zha" has a hint of a "j" sound in it somehow... haven't quite got that figured out just yet). A huge portion of juicy tender "bife de chorizo" (New York striploin-style cut) can be had here for 45 pesos (about 11 CAD). Not cheap by Argentine standards, but a cut like this in Canada would be $30 and up at any restaurant, and to get something of comparable quality I'd say you'd be looking at about $40-50.


The next morning we got up and wandered around, going to a steet market where vendors would be making things at the same time as they would be watching their things.

Then it was off to find the Cemetary in Recoleta. On the way, I spotted the huge obelisk standing tall against a sky of haze, which created a halo around the sun.


We also came across a beautiful park with the most amazing tree in full bloom. Most of the others are in a state of falling leaves/blooms but this one was standing up to all the non-believers and keeping it's blooms for as long as possible. I haven't found out what type of tree this is, but I'll have to find out at some point.

On the other side of the park there was a local football match going on. I couldn't help but try and capture an action shot.

After we finally staggered into the cemetary in the sweltering heat, we weren't disappointed. I kind of wish we would have gotten a tour through this cemetary, as I'm sure it would have made more sense but it was kind of cool and kind of eery to be touring through and looking at all the caskets and different sculptures. If you're ever in BA, it's definitely worth a visit.



Yes, I think this guy is actually in the casket....


No comments:

Post a Comment