Friday, February 4, 2011

I Miss Chicken Wings

Janice warned me that I'd experience culture shock travelling through South America.... and yeah.... I mean, I'm shocked at how much I miss wing night! The sweet chili has got to be the best, but there's always salt 'n pepper, honey-garlic, and honey-hot to enjoy as well... and let's not forget the teriyaki or the good old staple hot flavour....


The beer here in Argentina isn't bad, but it's also never served quite as ice cold, nor is it served in nice big thick-glass mugs... it's generally served in 1L bottles that get you all excited but then they put a little 6 or 8 oz glass next to it and you feel like you need to sip the beer like a European might sip a latte... otherwise you need to fill the glass over and over again.... yup, our lives are SOOO tough.... Even the Duff beer was kind of a disappointment. I figured that if it was good enough from Homer it would be good enough for me but man was I wrong. Homer needs to spend more time in a pub sampling different brews. But I'm getting farther away from the chicken wing theme here.....

Janice claims that she hasn't eaten any chicken wings since we got here, because every time we get a half chicken for dinner the first thing I go for is the wing.... haha... I think she's right! Every time it's good, because the chickens down here are bigger and meatier than they are in Canada, so you end up getting a pretty good-sized wing, but then there's only one and you get this empty feeling in your stomach that you wish you could fill with more wings.... then you go to the butcher shop and all they seem to have are chicken thighs, breasts and the innards.... where do the wings go? Did some other wing-lover beat me to the punch and cleaned him out? Is there some underground wing-night fetish around here that they hide from the foreigners so they don't need to share their limited wing supply? When we were in Buenos Aires we found some random chicken parts in a butcher shop and thankfully it had some chicken wings in it!! But unfortunately that was only about 2 weeks into our trip and I hadn't quite developed my case of wing shock to the degree that I have now. 
Below is the record of the last chance I had to feast on chicken wings........ but it also included necks, livers, hearts, and a few other random parts.




I definitely miss being able to go climbing at the gym, and follow it up with a couple of pints and a big helping of wings. I guess all I can do in the meantime is hope that somehow cows or sheep will develop wings of some sort... heck I think buffaloes have wings no? I'm pretty sure they sell them in some pubs anyway... ;-)

If anybody from Argentina is reading this, I have pesos to spend and an appetite to consume many chicken wings. Please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment